A Little Bird Told Me..,

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Lost Art of (Meaningful) Conversation

Hey! Thanks for stopping by!!! Or more likely, stumbling in and scrambling for the mouse :P 

I have, of course, been thinking again. This pic was taken at a Pizza place in New Haven that SHOULD be famous. I cannot understand why it isn't. But that is another rabbit trail for another  diatribe story. 

If you look closely, you can see that we are all communicating. Just not with each other... actually, this pic was staged... by me... to prove a point.

That point being that good stimulating (audible) conversation is rapidly becoming a lost art form. 

I am old enough that I remember a time before cell phones... and no, I wasn't born during the first world war...

When I was a kid we played outside. We got dirty. We made tree forts, played with Barbies... roller skated with our neighbors... we actually knew our neighbors. We colored, jumped in giant leaf piles, and had no idea what a video game was, since that hadn't been invented. We waited all week for Saturdays and cartoons! 

"What's your point,"  you ask warily?
"Why the trip down memory lane?" (and half way to the Twilight Zone)


My point is this... 

That everything has a price... This glorious time of technology, social networking, and instant information costs us something... 

While we are busy documenting our lives on "Insta-It'sallaboutme.com", we are missing something... 

The elderly guy on the park bench that wants to hear a pleasant voice, not necessarily you texting... 

The woman with three screaming and overtired children in the grocery line who could use a smile or a kind word...

Maybe the waitress that comes to bring your sandwich and fries is so lonely that she can't see a reason to live anymore...

While it's true that technology can bring distant people "closer", it usually misses with regards to people in the same house, or room, or at the same table for that matter...

I am working on my boundaries with regards to how much I use my cell phone when I am with people. I even put it AWAY, especially at meals :) Even with growing dependence on electronic devices, I want to keep balance. Board games are a great way attempt your transition into "being WITH people." Slooooowly but surely, I am making progress...

Make that difference!!! Those around you will be glad you did, and you will too!!! 

God bless! 

Lori 












No comments:

Post a Comment