A Little Bird Told Me..,

Friday, November 1, 2013

Paying It Forward

Hello and welcome! 

I am thinking again. That usually means trouble for the poor unsuspecting victim reader. 


This time, I am thinking about getting older. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life. 


You may get older, but that doesn't mean you have to get OLD! 


My favorite people are the ones that no matter how old they get, you still see a spark in their eyes. 


Yet, again, I digress.

There is a point to all this nonsense  rabbit trail is that: if you are going to get older as a musician, what are your options? 

  • You play as long as you are physically able to do so  
  • You teach
  • You take up Scrabble and forget music
  • You whine and carry on about how you used to be so good, and relive your glory moments in front of everyone you can subject them to find - this also includes posting them to Facebook, Twitter, or sending endless videos 
                                   OR
  • You pay your talent forward  - which is also aptly titled: it'snotallaboutme.com

Now is when I insert a Scripture, since I tend to draw continuous parallels; so if you need to close your eyes and avoid at this point, go ahead. :P 

"Freely you have received, freely give." Matthew 10:8

(See that wasn't so bad) 

As seasoned players we have a lot to give to the up and coming. 

They have the chops, speed (whew, do they EVER!) and they have dreams. 

I may not have theory, BUT I can show them style, finesse, and the space BETWEEN the notes: a most woefully overlooked area. 

(Thank you to my dear friend Shawn Byrne for that invaluable lesson

I can give my time and my blood, sweat, & tear soaked experience to make YOU a better player!

So, as YOU have been GIVEN, give back! You never know what impact you can have on a life! 

Build a lasting legacy - build people!!! 

God bless! 

<><   Lori 











No comments:

Post a Comment